Welcome to A Franciscan View

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace . . .

20 November 2014

Why is abortion so important to the women's movement ?

I just thought that I would read a little about Margaret Sanger, the progenitor of the women's movement for procreative rights.  I had some ideas based upon things that I had heard, but the Wikipedia article (clearly a positive one & seemingly balanced) showed a different view.  I had always thought that she was a proponent of abortion, but according to the article,  "Sanger noted that her opposition to abortion was based on the taking of life: "[In 1916] we explained what contraception was; that abortion was the wrong way no matter how early it was performed it was taking life; that contraception was the better way, the safer way—it took a little time, a little trouble, but was well worth while in the long run, because life had not yet begun."[115] And in her book Family Limitation,Sanger wrote that "no one can doubt that there are times when an abortion is justifiable but they will become unnecessary when care is taken to prevent conception. This is the only cure for abortions."[116]

The  earlier part of the article indicated that after having returned to Sadie  Sachs apartment to deal with a second self induced abortion resulting in death, Margaret determined to work for the cause of contraception, which she held was a free speech issue due to the Comstock laws passed in the late 1800's.

Now, my whole point is not to glorify Margaret Sanger or the movement she spawned.  I am just explaining what I found doing a little research.  

My big question is especially in the light of Saint John Paul's magnificent Theology of the Body which was a 2 year explaination of Paul VI's Humanae Vitae, why does the women's movement insist on screaming for abortions as a necessity to be able to fully liberate women to become the professional working person that they want to be?  I just don't understand why abortion is so important to them!  Why is it so important to kill a life (even Margaret Sanger believed this simple fact way before science has proven its truth!)?

Now, I understand that contraception is frowned upon by the Church and with good theology behind it.  But there are proved family planning techniques, taught even by Blessed Mother Theresa taught the people of Calcutta how to do these techniques to limit their families.  And they are a whole  lot more safe and certain that even "the Pill".  Why can't these women who don't want families understand these processes and use them if they are so dead set against having children?  

OK. OK.  Just don't get all huffy on me.  Yes, I understand that "free sex" is supposed to be the thing.  Whenever and whatever feels good is OK.  Well, that's where I have a concern.  Why not take the time to really understand St. John Paul II's Theology of the Body and try it for a while.  I am convinced that this secular relativism is not really working from what I can see in today's society.  Perhaps, we ought to just try it the way that God intended it for a while.  Maybe much of the selfish issues that  create today's problems would be transformed and have a transforming effect on our society.  

I don't know, Just asking.  No. I do know that my faith and following theologians like JPII, Benedict XVI, and Papa Francis is the right thing to do for a full and rewarding life now and in the future.  Hey, ladies, get out of your selfish attitudes.  Hey, every one, get out of your selfish attitudes.  Think of the other person first for a change.  Why not try it?  Might make a big difference in your lives and others.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment